Saturday, May 16, 2015

#7 Neurofeedback

Okay, we have had seven treatments, and my son loves to go and "play the game".  He wears a shower cap with battery like things sewn into it for 10 minutes to stimulate...I think...I will clarify what that is for.  The techs have been wonderful providing a lot of supplemental information.  I think I am going to ask the lead therapist (master's level education) to provide a little description of what is happening...stay tuned for that.

After the shower cap thing  then he is connected to a 19 lead eeg where certain areas have been identified and programmed into the software to be targeted.  He gets to pick from about six different avatar's (spaceship, race car, robot, dolphin, and a few other things) then they get to pick a musical instrument (such as a piano, guitar, maybe others) to accompany the avatar. They get visual and auditory feedback while staring at the screen and getting the avatar to move.  It is a 20 minute session where they are actively engaged with this video game.

Now, for my observations...I am trying my best to objective.  I want so bad to see amazing things and report off the chart improvements but I was told I would not see them until around treatment 10 to start.  When he has had seizures since we started his "down" time or "bad" time has not been as intense.  That is the only thing I can say for sure.  Now as I write this, we are having an unexpected "bad time" that is not following his normal routine.  My son has somewhat of a predictable schedule since we weaned the medications and I can actually see all of him :-)  I sent the Doc Bill an email when I woke up, even though I know  he is out of town at his daughter's graduation and he responded within 30 minutes with this response...As I run off to my daughter’s graduation, may I take 30 seconds to tell you that, indeed, this is (an admittedly paradoxical) favorable prognostic sign.

Nothing to worry about - if it’s as I expect, we are breaking his cycle!

Every one of my questions are answered, emails answered promptly, phone calls have returned almost instantly by staff.  I am so happy with this provider.  It is too soon to say how successful we will be but I expect wonderful things in the future.  They are located in Tampa, Florida and if you can get there.  I highly recommend the services at ABF behavioral health


No comments:

Post a Comment